Saturday, November 09, 2013

11/9

UPDATE: a few hours after my original post, and I actually did a little more writing, though I'm pretty sure I won't be doing any more today. So the final total as of 11/9: 8,987. Goal per nanowrimo at this point should be 15,000. OK, I'm up to 8,764. This is more like it. Still way behind, and I haven't even really started the story proper yet. Yeah, some of this inroductory stuff is going to have to go in revision. But I've introduced my two main characters, got them way more deeply involved in their relationship that I'd originally planned to do at this point (and some of this stuff may be moved to later instead of axed), and I've introduced the murder that that will drive the plot of the early part of the book (first third? not yet sure), until it turns out to be only part of something much bigger. I am really excited about this. Fingers crossed. Last time I did this I blogged the whole book here day by day. I'm not doing that this time for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that I've since decided not to share any piece of writing with anybody until at least a first draft is finished. Precisely because that first nanowrimo novel went off the rails because of input from someone else and I've found that I can't go back and redo it. It is irretrievably and irrevocably lost because I listened to someone and changed the direction it was headed when I shouldn't have. Ah, well. Live and learn. Write another story instead. And another. And another.

No comments: